That “Think Like A Man” reign just won’t let up. For real. For a second week in a row, the African-American led comedy is breaking down doors and taking names, facing the critics who in the past have said a movie of this nature couldn’t slay the box office. WRONG! The film once again hit #1 in the weekend estimates beating out a few movies who were expected to have strong openings.
“The Pirates! Band of Misfits” is a stop motion, animated family-feature and in my experience watching box office results, it’s hard to compete with a family film. However, this little Sony Gem was only able to nab the second place spot. It did however climb above Zac Efron and crew’s “The Lucky One” which fell to #3.
The shocking result for me is the highly anticipated “The Five-Year Engagement” courtesy of the producers of “Bridesmaids”. I was really expecting this film to open strong but was only able to nab the #5 spot in the weekend top ten. Other openers included “Safe” starring Jason Statham and Catherine Chan and the literary-based feature “The Raven” starring John Cusack. Check out more results below.
- 1. Think Like a Man: $18,000,000 ($60,868,058 total)
- 2. The Pirates! Band of Misfits: $11,400,000 (opening weekend)
- 3. The Lucky One (2012): $11,325,000 ($39,926,696 total)
- 4. The Hunger Games: $11,250,000 ($372,454,750 total)
- 5. The Five-Year Engagement: $11,156,800 (opening weekend)
- 6. Safe (2012): $7,720,000 (opening weekend)
- 7. The Raven: $7,250,000 (opening weekend)
- 8. Chimpanzee: $5,460,000 ($19,152,932 2 total)
- 9. The Three Stooges: $5,400,000 ($37,140,544 total)
- 10. The Cabin in the Woods: $4,500,000 ($34,663,840 total)