Filed under: Kevin, Movies
Date: May 5, 2009
Okay, so to wrap-up my little article mini-series on movies, here is a list of the Top 5 Must-see Movie Classics that every gay man should know, love and be able to recite. Bear in mind that these are the “classics”, not the “newer” movies that every gay man should know. Each of these movies has at least one “gay icon” in them and focuses on the strong, amazing type of women that we love.
- “All gay men have track lightin’. And all gay men are named Mark, Rick, or Steve.”
- Sally Field, Dolly Parton, Shirley MacLaine, Daryl Hannah, Olympia Dukakis and Julia Roberts… do I really need to say more?! I will, of course, but I could’ve just stopped right there! At any rate, Steel Magnolias is a story centered on a beauty shop owned by Truvy (Dolly Parton) in Louisiana and the various lives of her clients. The plot revolves mostly around Shelby (Julia Roberts) and her mother M’Lynn (Sally Field). Without giving away too much, Shelby is a diabetic and is getting married at the beginning of the movie. The movie then takes you through the next few years to deal with the joys and heartaches of these amazing women. The entire cast of this movie is inspired; however Sally Field is simply brilliant in her role as overbearing mother M’Lynn. What’s even better is that the movie sports the tagline, “The funniest movie to ever make you cry” due to it being jam-packed with great jokes and one-liners. Sincerely, you have to watch this movie.
- “Iris Myandowski is a hand-walking queer!”
- Someone once told me that you can classify gay-men into one of two categories: Barbara (Streisand not Hershey) or Bette. I’m not sure how true that is, but in my case- I’m definitely a “Bette” and Beaches with Ms. Midler herself is one of my all-time favorite movies. Bette Midler plays singer CC Bloom opposite Barbara Hershey in this film about friendship, love and life. The touching story spans the life of child performer CC Bloom and upper-class San Francisco resident Hillary Whitney who meet while on vacation in Atlantic City and maintain a rocky, yet strong childhood friendship over the years.
- Tags: barbara hershey, beaches, bette midler, danny glover, daryl hannah, dolly parton, faye dunaway, fried green tomatoes, jessica tandy, joan crawford, julia roberts, kathy bates, mary stuart masterson, mary-louise parker, mommy dearest, Movies, olympia dukakis, oprah winfrey, sally field, shirley maclaine, steel magnolias, the color purple, whoopi goldberg