“Hakuna matata, what a wonderful phrase! Hakuna Matata! Ain’t no passing craze It means no worries for the rest of your days…” Those song lyrics proved to be true once again for Disney’s The Lion King 3D debut at the box office this weekend. Personally, I had know idea that the film was going to do so well, but I guess it’s a classic. I pretty much know all the words to all the songs and I haven’t even seen it in years. LOL. The film brought it an impressive $29.3 million on a weekend where overall box office performance was a little, “meh” to put it bluntly.
Contagion, which kicked off last weekend to a healthy (or “unhealthy” start if you catch my drift), kept pretty strong this weekend, adding almost $14.5 million to it’s total that is now just over $44 million.
Aside from The Lion King 3D, the other new offerings didn’t do as well (but hey, that’s “The Circle of Life,” right?). Drive, a new “heist gone wrong” action film starring Ryan Gosling, was parked in third place this weekend with just over $11 million. Straw Dogs, the “everyone has a breaking point” thriller starring the sexy James Marsden and beautiful Kate Bosworth, brought in $5 million this weekend (also taking the 5th spot). I just watched the trailer for this and although some haven’t rated it the best, in my opinion it does look really good and I’m definitely going to watch it. For Sarah Jessica Parker’s “I Don’t Know How She Does It,”it was more like “…Doesn’t Do It”. The “Sex in the City with kids” film only brought in $4.5 million in it’s opening weekend. This film was available in even more locations than The Lion King 3D. Clearly the kids were dragging their mom’s to their movie, not giving her the chance to watch SJP’s flick.
- 1. The Lion King 3D: $29,300,000 (opening)
- 2. Contagion: $14,480,000 ($44,192,091 2 total)
- 3. Drive (2011): $11,018,464 (opening)
- 4. The Help: $6,438,000 ($147,364,754 total)
- 5. Straw Dogs (2011): $5,000,000 (opening)
- 6. I Don’t Know How She Does It: $4,502,000 (opening)
- 7. The Debt: $2,945,897 ($26,567,697 (total)
- 8. Warrior (2011): $2,770,000 ($9,912,300 total)
- 9. Rise of the Planet of the Apes: $2,625,000 ($171,618,406)
- 10. Colombiana: $2,300,000 ($33,347,232 total)