Shakira’s eighth studio album, She Wolf, recently hit the shelves after the Colombian’s long hiatus- her last album released back in 2005 (Oral Fixation). Her music can be described as pop fusion and as you probably already know, she performs and sings in both English and Spanish.
Over the course of her 15 year career (excluding this album), Shakira has sold close to 50 million albums! She had done very well for herself as the only artist from South America to ever have a number one song in the US. That’s a pretty amazing feat- ALL OF SOUTH AMERICA! I’m not even lying…and neither do her hips for that matter! Shakira’s chart topping single, “Hips Don’t Lie” is possibly the biggest selling single of the 21st century, having reached the number one spot in 55 countries. Talk about world domination… She Wolf is taking over!
Shakira likes to takes risks, and this album is no different. That was evident when her first single, She Wolf came out and proven even more when her corresponding sexy video of a caged sex-crazed She Wolf debuted. As far as the rest of the album, Shakira has this to say:
“This was a sonic experimental trip. I wanted to play around with electronica, beats, synthesizers and I began to research folk from other countries looking for new influences that allowed me to combine electronics with world sounds, tambourines, clarinets, oriental and Hindu music, dancehall, etc. You never know the final destination of a creative project, but from the beginning I wanted to make sure that this album had a very strong foundation. I wanted it to be very bass-driven, and to make sure the kicks hit really hard.”
Shakira’s been working the circuit with this album, and her singles (She Wolf + Did It Again) for sure. Some of her performances include Saturday Night Live, American Music Awards, So You Think You Can Dance, and more. One of the bonus songs on the track (which is one of my faves) “Give It Up To Me,” featuring Lil Wayne was even featured on The Hills Season 6 finale this past Tuesday as well.
THINGS I LIKE/DISLIKE ABOUT…
- 1. I like She Wolf. It’s a clever song and concept and if there were to ever be a She Wolf, I think it could only be either her or Beyonce, as they know how to move their body and voice in such a way that only a She Wolf would. Her howl is excellent.
- 2. I dislike that there are 16 tracks on the album, and songs 11-16 are listed as Bonus Tracks. How are they bonus tracks? Why aren’t they just regular tracks? What ever happened to one secret song or bonus song? Now half the album is suddenly a bonus? It’s just a tad annoying, that’s all.
- 3. I like that the lyrics are in the CD booklet. Haha, now I can actually see what she’s saying in the parts that I can’t quite figure it out and make up my own. See…Now I didn’t know that the first lyrics she says in the song are “SOS she’s in disguise.” I didn’t know what the heck she was saying actually.
- 4. I like that the actual CD is a full moon. Very clever. I think they really nailed the She Wolf thing. It’s smart because she’ll always be known as the She Wolf now. No one can redo the She Wolf. Shakira’s claimed it.
- 5. I like “Give It Up To Me” featuring Lil Wayne. I know it’s only a bonus song, but it should be her next video. It’s a really good song, even though Lil Wayne is a Lil Annoying in general.
- 6. I like the overall assortment of songs. There’s nothing on it that I can’t stand, which is important to me in a CD. If I’m buying a CD, I want to be able to play it from beginning to end. I was able to do that with this. Shakira has a very unique sound/voice so as long as you can stand it or aren’t turned off by her sound, then press play on this disk.
OVERALL RATING: 4 out of 5 stars for the Shakira fan, 3.5 for someone that doesn’t particular like her sound. It definitely puts on a good fight against the tough competition that was released at the same time as her.