Happy Canada Day, Everyone! And with the 4th of July coming, I thought I’d write about MY top 5 reasons for celebrating being Canadian or American in 2009. All joking aside in my lists, I think citizens of either countries have a lot to be grateful for and should take their respective days to reflect and celebrate – safely of course!
Top 5 Reasons To Celebrate 4th of July This Year
5. Back from Iraq. On June 30th (yesterday), the deadline for withdrawal of American combat troops, Iraquis celebrated with a parade, declaring National Sovereignty Day. Needless to say, military families in the United States are celebrating the return of their loved ones, just in time for the 4th of July. One of the final chapters in the war in Iraq comes to an end.
4. Miss America is no longer Miss America. The anti-gay wedding witch, Carrie Prejean was was sent away with her broom when her crown was stripped away from her about a month ago for not doing her job. She had created a lot of controversy about her public opposition to gay marriage, in response to a question asked by Perez Hilton. Speaking of Perez Hilton…
3. Perez Hilton got punched. Yeah, yeah – violence is not the answer but I think the guy needed a bit of a wake up call and the Black Eyed Peas were the ones to do it. He ruins people’s careers for a living – yes, he unfortunately does has the power to do that. I don’t wish for him to get punched again or anything, but I hope he learned something from it – and I think he did.
2. Gay Marriage Progression. If you’ve been following Kevin’s Gay Marriage articles, aside from Prop 8, there has been a lot of progression with respect to same-sex marriage in the United States. In the past year, Vermont, Maine, New Hamphire joined the movement and they all will be performing same-sex marriages within the year, adding to Iowa, Connecticut and Massachusetts, already marrying the gays.
1. President Barack Obama. After a historic campaign that brought the country together, the first African American president was inaugurated on January 20th, 2009. With his presidency, he brings much needed hope to the US, working towards changing the perception of the US – using their power for good and not evil.
Top 5 Reasons To Celebrate Canada Day This Year
5. So much to be grateful for. In 2009, Canada is still a multicultural, peaceful, forward-thinking country that I am grateful to be living in. Healthcare, Gay Marriage, and some of the most beautiful scenery in the world. We aren’t living in poverty. There is no war going on in our country. We are healthy. We are safe. Really, we should take this day to realize how much we have to be grateful for in comparison to those in other parts of the world that are less fortunate.
4. Canada’s Next Top Model Cycle 3. Okay, I know I’m stretching it by putting this one in. In fact, I haven’t even been following this season, but there is so much buzz about this cycle having the most beautiful models that have taken the best photos in the show’s history – even when compared against the U.S. Tyra-nt version! That doesn’t happen very often that the Canadian version of a show is better than the U.S. one so we should celebrate our successes!
3. 2009 World Police & Fire Games in British Columbia. Vancouver hosts this fantastic event – a world- class sporting event that promotes both physical fitness and camaraderie. Everyone wants to come to Vancouver!
2. 2010 Olympics and Paralympic Games. Vancouver welcomes the world next year – how exciting is that! With so many brand new and upgraded facilities, a skytrain route all the way from the airport, amongst many other exciting changes, Canada is ready to show the world why Vancouver is the best city to live in.
1. The Best Place to Live. Canada still holds 3 out of the top 20 rankings for the best places to live in the world. 0ttawa at #16, Toronto at #15, Vancouver at #4 according to Business Week Magazine and Forbes Magazine. Also, The Economist still ranks Vancouver as the most livable city in the world, with Toronto at #4.
- Miss California, You’re Fired!
- Gay Marriage Fight Goes Federal
- Black Eye from Black Eyed Peas: Poor Perez?