In the last four years, the Producers Guild Awards and the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences have agreed on the best picture winner. Last night, the little black and white, French silent film that could – The Artist took home the top honor of the night, the Darryl F. Zanuck Award for Outstanding Producer of Theatrical Motion Pictures. If you remember, this film also took home the Golden Globe for best motion picture earlier this month.
Producer Thomas Langmann, the son of acclaimed French actor, writer and director Claude Barri, accepted the award for the film which was directed by Michel Hazanavicius. During his acceptance speech, Thomas said, “when Michel and I dreamed of making ‘The Artist,’ we dreamed of writing a love letter to American cinema,” Langmann said. “We just didn’t know that we would get a taste of the American dream.” This award definitely makes them the front runner for the Oscar nominations which are set to take place this coming Tuesday morning (January 24).
Since making its debut at the Cannes Film Festival last year, the film has generated an enormous amount of buzz including that of it’s two star actors Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo. The story follows the fates of silent film star George Valentin (Dujardin) and plucky song-and-dance gal Peppy Miller (Bejo) at the dawn of the talkies. The film is a true tribute to the age of old Hollywood and the films of that time and generation. The Artist wasn’t the only winner of the night. See who else took home awards at last night’s ceremony below.
- Outstanding Producer of Animated Theatrical Motion Pictures:
THE ADVENTURES OF TINTIN
Producers: Peter Jackson, Kathleen Kennedy, Steven Spielberg
- David L. Wolper Award for Outstanding Producer of Long-Form Television:
DOWNTON ABBEY (Masterpiece) (PBS)
Producers: Julian Fellowes, Nigel Marchant, Gareth Neame
- Outstanding Producer of Documentary Theatrical Motion Pictures:
BEATS, RHYMES & LIFE: THE TRAVELS OF A TRIBE CALLED QUEST
Producers: Debra Koffler, Frank Mele, Edward Parks, Michael Rapaport
- Danny Thomas Award for Outstanding Producer of Episodic Television, Comedy:
MODERN FAMILY (ABC)
Producers: Paul Corrigan, Abraham Higginbotham, Steven Levitan, Christopher Lloyd, Jeff Morton, Jeffrey Richman, Dan O’Shannon, Brad Walsh, Bill Wrubel, Danny Zuker
- Norman Felton Award for Outstanding Producer of Episodic Television, Drama:
BOARDWALK EMPIRE (HBO)
Producers: Eugene Kelly, Howard Korder, Stephen Levinson, Martin Scorsese, Rudd Simmons, Tim Van Patten, Terence Winter
- Outstanding Producer of Live Entertainment & Talk Television:
THE COLBERT REPORT (Comedy Central)
Producers: Meredith Bennett, Stephen T. Colbert, Richard Dahm, Tanya Michnevich Bracco, Tom Purcell, Jon Stewart
- Outstanding Producer of Competition Television:
THE AMAZING RACE (CBS)
Producers: Jerry Bruckheimer, Elise Doganieri, Jonathan Littman, Bertram van Munster, Mark Vertullo
- Outstanding Producer of Non-Fiction Television:
AMERICAN MASTERS (PBS)
Producers: Susan Lacy, Julie Sacks
- First Look: Take A Step Back Into Old Hollywood With “The Artist”
- 2012 Oscar Watch: The Directors Guild Award Nominations
- 2012 Oscar Watch: Film Independent Spirit Award Nominations
For complete details, head over to ProducersGuild.org.