Last night, Oprah’s Lifeclass aired a special taped at Radio City Music Hall in New York where Oprah Winfrey sat down with Deepak Chopra to talk about “Spiritual Solutions“. She jokingly referred to it as her “Chopra Oprah Tour”. I watched the segment on the online feed and thought I’d share a few of the highlights. Before I get into that, I want to mentioned that cast member Dan went to the taping in Toronto, which is the finale for the Lifeclass Tour and airs next Monday. The topic discussed is “Mastering the Art of Gratitude“.
I’ve included many of the quotes that resonated with me below, but I also want to talk about Perez Hilton being on the show. He talked about how he has changed and is now about putting positivity out there, helping people, and most certainly not being the bully he once was. He’s changed so much (inside and out). That being said, a women in the audience had a hard time with him being where he is today only because he had became famous for being mean.
Deepak and Oprah had a few things to say about that. Deepak responded by saying, Deepak: “I think what you’ve got to realize…everyone is doing best they can from the stage of awareness they’re in. You have to have empathy….because in your judging him, you’re also judging yourself. And right now I’m judging you.” Oprah added, “I could be very pissed off at [Perez] for some of the things he has said. But if he can’t be redeemed, then neither can I….Not everybody is operating at the same frequency as you. There are some very low-level people that are barely vibrating at all….There is a vibrational frequency to spirit.”
Recapping on what the whole episode was about and what a woman from Vancouver had asked Deepak via Skype, Oprah asked him once again…
Oprah: : “How do you begin to lead a more spiritual life?”
Deepak: “The ultimate goal is to be happy. If you want to be happy, make somebody else happy. If you want to find the right person in your life, then become the right person. If you want to see change in the world, then become the change in the world….There’s no social transformation in the absence of personal transformation.”
Other standout quotes:
- “You can step out of your path and write a new story for yourself.” – Oprah
- “If you are living through love, and trying to use your life to express that, in every encounter, then you are leading a spiritual life.” – Oprah
- “Remember that your story is influencing your expectations of the world: Your feelings and moods—they’re all a reflection of your story….You have to ask yourself, ‘Is there another story? The past is gone. The future is not here. Now I am free of both: What am I choosing right now?’ – Deepak
- “For 6 plus years, I behaved a certain way. But I am not going to be defined by my past…I am not going to let that prevent me from doing good in the future.” – Perez Hilton
- “Karma means you have to live with the consequences of actions of the past.” – Deepak
- “It also means whatever you’re putting out is coming back….Everywhere I went in India, I asked, ‘Why are people so calm?’ Every person would say, ‘Karma. We believe in karma.’ They believe everything they do, will come back.” – Oprah
- On how to control your negative thoughts: “There are many ways: I’ll share one with you. It’s a simple acronym: STOP. S stands for stop. T stands for take 3 deep breaths, and when you’re doing that smile, everywhere in your body. O stands for observe what’s happening in your body, and P, proceed now, with kindness and compassion.” He then added, “Or you can just say to your thoughts: Next!” – Deepak
- “My definition [of spirituality] is living your life with an open heart, through love.” – Oprah