Once again, TorrentFreak’s annual Top 10 list of most pirated movies surprises me. Last year, high-brow films like The King’s Speech and 127 Hours made the cut, while other blockbusters failed to crack the list. This year is no different. Obvious choices like The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 and The Avengers made the list at No. 10 and No. 4 respectively, but the flick that was the most illegally downloaded of 2012 is a bit of a shocker.
Believe it or not, the high school comedy Project X topped the annual list. With an estimated 8,720,000 illegal downloads, it earns the distinction as the most pirated movie of the year. The film grossed roughly $100 million during its run at the box office. It’s interesting to compare that to The Twilight Saga Breaking Dawn Part 1‘s numbers. The vampire flick ranked at No. 10 with 6,740,000 downloads but grossed $712 million. Check out what else made the Top 10 list below.
Top 10 Most Pirated Movies in 2012
- 10. The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn Part 1 (6,740,000 downloads)
- 9. Ice Age: Continental Drift (6,960,000 downloads)
- 8. The Dictator (7,330,000 downloads)
- 7. The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (7,420,000 downloads)
- 6. 21 Jump Street (7,590,000 downloads)
- 5. Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows (7,850,000 downloads)
- 4. The Avengers (8,110,000 downloads)
- 3. The Dark Knight Rises (8,230,000 downloads)
- 2. Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol (8,500,000 downloads)
- 1. Project X (8,720,000 downloads
How many of the above films did you watch? Surprised by any of the rankings? I’m a little shocked NOT to see The Hunger Games on there. You? Sound off below.