I came across this earlier while doing some research on the Internet and it was just too good to pass up!
This is great on so many levels…
First, I had no idea there was something called “WikiHow”- which is the equivalent to Wikipedia except that it’s filled with instructions on how to do things rather than information “all about” things.
Second, I love that someone put aside time enough to write an article about how to talk to gay and lesbian people. What’s more is that it’s actually written quite well with some logical and easy-to-follow points:
- Understand Gay and Lesbian People
- Be open minded, as you would with any other person
- Do not assume that a person is sexually attracted to you
- Be respectful
- Be aware that it took a lot of courage for someone to tell you that he or she is lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender
- Realize that friendship with a person who is lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender is no different.
Now, I’ll be the first to admit that the vast majority of what is listed on that page is what we would expect to be common knowledge, but for anyone who has lived in a small town, you’ll know that this information could actually come in handy. At any rate, however, I couldn’t stifle a bit of a chuckle when I actually first found the article, simply because it would never occur to me to have to write out some kind of instructional guide on how to talk to a homo. Too funny.