I was recently gifted a viewing of an amazing documentary called Happy by my good friend Jay. He had picked up one of those free Starbucks cards that highlights an artist or movie. Having a feeling I would enjoy it, since I’m one of the happiest people he knows, he waited until we could get together to watch it. Well, to say I enjoyed it would be an understatement, I freaking LOVED IT!

Description from IMDB: “HAPPY takes us on a journey from the swamps of Louisiana to the slums of Kolkata in search of what really makes people happy. Combining real life stories of people from around the world and powerful interviews with the leading scientists in happiness research, HAPPY explores the secrets behind our most valued emotion.”

Happy infuses quite a bit of scientific research and study with everyday stories to give it a well-rounded approach to the subject. I loved finding out that in their studies it showed that only 10% of a persons happiness comes from their exterior environment (aka cars, homes, clothes, etc.) That leaves the other 90% of our happiness residing within ourselves and puts us in the drivers seat.

In my personal life I had already come to my own conclusion that happiness is a choice someone makes every day they are living. You are presented at every corner with a situation or scenario and you have a choice as to how you process that information. If something “bad” happens will you be the one to wallow and say “why me, oh WHY ME!?” or will you be the one who say “this happened FOR me, so I could look deeper and find the lesson here and learn from it and thus better my life from it.” I think of the world as a giant school and we’re all here just learning our way through it. At the end of it all I personally want to look back and know that I did everything I could to make the choice to be happy every day. Sure exterior situations happen and momentarily you are snapped into a negative thought but it’s how fast you shift back into a happy place that is the important part. Happy talks about this during the documentary and I found it so fascinating, I also loved the fact that I could now use some scientific study to back up my reasonings.

If you’re like me and decided that 2013 was going to be the year of “I’m going to focus on doing what makes me happy,” then I highly suggest watching this movie. It had me laughing, crying and everything in between. It’s an inspiring film that gets you to think more about what’s actually important in life and how you might go about creating a more happy one.

‘Happy’ Movie Trailer