This weekend Gravity, starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney opened in theatres for a record breaking weekend. The film set a new unadjusted opening weekend record for October, which was previously held by 2011’s Paranormal Activity 3 with $52.57 million. When ticket price inflation is considered, 2003’s Scary Movie 3 is still on top with an adjusted debut of $65.11 million (from an actual gross of $48.11 million).
Although the film pulled in many eager viewers, I’ve heard that it didn’t live up to expectations and it wasn’t actually as good as people thought it was going to be. That’s disappointing because I was really looking forward to seeing this one as well but perhaps now I’ll wait until I can rent it on Apple TV. Did any of you watch it? If so, share your thoughts on the film in the comments. Also, check out how Ben Affleck and Justin Timberlake‘s Runner Runner did in the list below of the top 10 films at the box office this weekend.
- 1. Gravity: $55,550,000 (opening)
- 2. Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs 2 $21,500,000 ($60,556,726 total)
- 3. Runner Runner: $7,600,000 (opening)
- 4. Prisoners: $5,700,000 ($47,879,968 total)
- 5. Rush (2013): $4,408,000 ($18,094,319 total)
- 6. Don Jon: $4,160,000 ($16,077,317 total)
- 7. Baggage Claim: $4,125,000 ($15,185,081 total)
- 8. Insidious Chapter 2: $3,876,000 ($74,749,587 total)
- 9. We’re the Millers: $1,610,000 ($144,900,013 total)
- 10. The Family (2013): $1,473,000 ($34,578,903 total)