Filed under: Saturday Submissions, Sports & Health
Date: Jun 4, 2009
I am sure, without a doubt, that I would be killed off by natural selection if we were at a different point in time. Obviously, I wouldn’t be creating children and passing along my genes due to my relations with men, not women. But, I would personally be dead meat due to my “blindness”. I hate having poor vision.
I look good in glasses and I’m fortunate enough to be able to wear contacts, but I find them both a burden and detest them. I don’t think those who have never had issues with their vision really understand how much of a pain it can be.
- 1. I have to plan my day and wear my contacts and glasses appropriately. I can’t wear my contacts while staring at a computer all day and I need to wear contacts when I’m at the gym or exercising because I sweat so much. I have to be prepared for all scenarios, even just switching to sunglasses I need to have my prescription ones with me, or I need to carry my contacts and sunglasses.
- 2. If I stay over somewhere and the person doesn’t wear contacts, I have to sleep with my contacts in, which I hate doing, or I may resort to leaving my contacts in shot glasses with some water over night.
- 3. Glasses, contacts, eye appointments, contact solution and prescription sunglasses are all really expensive and a constant expense. Can easily reach $1,000 every two years.
- 4. It you are fortunate enough to be eligible for eye surgery, it’s really expensive, you have to agree to pointing a laser into your eye and you risk complications with your eye sight.
- 5. Contacts can get kind of stuck back in your eye socket and it’s a real pain in the ass to be able to retrieve them. This can easily happen just by rubbing your eyes.
- 6. Glasses are dust, dirt and smudge magnets. They are in constant need of cleaning.
- 7. When it rains, undoubtedly water will be attracted to your lenses and you can’t see. Not to mention that as soon as you walk indoors your glasses will fog up.
- 8. Contacts are NOT comfortable. There’s a piece of plastic, or whatever it is, in your eye. You can constantly feel it there. Your eyes get dry and irritated and sometimes the only answer is to take them out.
- 9. You may be blind without them. I cannot roll over in the night and read the clock unless it is really close. I can’t get out of bed and function without putting my glasses on. I even have a hard time shaving without putting my glasses on because I can’t see where the hairs are at. I don’t even have a super strong prescription.
- 10. When you bend over, lean over, jump, or move the quickly your glasses may fall off or move. Nothing worse than bending over and your glasses falling off, especially when wiping your butt.
So all you out there with perfect vision, be thankful that you have it easy and be nice to those of us who are inferior to you.