Last night, ‘Glee’ stars Naya Rivera and Cory Monteith hosted the 23rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards in New York. The star studded event had in attendance special guests that include Dakota Fanning (The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn); hip hop icon Russell Simmons; Megan Hilty (Smash); Vinny Guadagnino (Jersey Shore); Carson Kressley (Dancing with the Stars); Olympic figure skater Johnny Weir and his husband Victor Voronov; Tracey Gold (Starving Secrets with Tracey Gold); Wendy Williams (The Wendy Williams Show); Cheyenne Jackson (30 Rock); and many more.
Oprah, Lady Gaga, The New York Times, The Advocate, and ‘Anderson Cooper 360’ were among the many winners announced at the ceremonies. Oh, and special shout out to our friends at Towleroad who won for Outstanding Blog yet again! Amazing!
At one point in the evening, Megan Hilty of Smash planted a wet one on Cory Monteith. How did this come about? Well, Cory opened up the floor to a kissing auction (raising $5,000) and Hilty was the stand-in for the actual bidder.
Check out the complete list of winners below.
- Vito Russo Award: Craig Zadan & Neil Meron (presented by Bernadette Peters and John Stamos)
- Special Recognition Award: openly gay 17-year-old anti-bullying advocate, Katy Butler (presented by Harvey Weinstein)
- Outstanding Film- Limited Release: Pariah (Focus Features) [accepted by: Adepero Oduye and Kim Wayans]
- Outstanding Reality Program: Dancing with the Stars (ABC) [accepted by: Carson Kressley]
- Outstanding TV Journalism Segment: “Battle Against Bullying” ABC World News with Diane Sawyer (ABC) [accepted by: reporter Josh Elliott]
- Outstanding Magazine Article: TIE: “15th Anniversary of the Passage of the Defense of Marriage Act” (series) by Chris Geidner (Metro Weekly) [accepted by: Chris Geidner] and “Black & Gay in Corporate America” by Carolyn M. Brown (Black Enterprise) [accepted by: Carolyn M. Brown]
The following is a list of all other award recipients announced at the 23rd Annual GLAAD Media Awards in New York.
- Outstanding TV Movie Or Mini Series: Cinema Verite (HBO)
- Outstanding Talk Show Episode: “Coming Out on the Oprah Show: 25 Years of Unforgettable Guests” The Oprah Winfrey Show (syndicated)
- Outstanding TV Journalism – Newsmagazine: “The ‘Sissy Boy’ Experiments” Anderson Cooper 360 (CNN)
- Outstanding Newspaper Article: “Led by the Child Who Simply Knew” by Bella English (The Boston Globe)
- Outstanding Newspaper Columnist: Frank Bruni (The New York Times)
- Outstanding Newspaper Overall Coverage: The New York Times
- Outstanding Magazine Overall Coverage: The Advocate/Out
- Outstanding Digital Journalism-Multimedia: “Injustice at Every Turn” (ITLMedia.org)
- Outstanding Blog: Towleroad (http://www.towleroad.com/) and Mombian (http://www.mombian.com)
- Outstanding Music Artist: Lady Gaga, Born This Way (Interscope Records)
- Outstanding Comic Book: Batwoman by J.H. Williams III and W. Haden Blackman (DC Comics)
- Outstanding Los Angeles Theatre: No Word in Guyanese for Me by Wendy Graf
- Outstanding New York Theatre: Broadway & Off Broadway: The Intelligent Homosexual’s Guide to Capitalism and Socialism with a Key to the Scriptures by Tony Kushner
- Outstanding New York Theatre: Off-Off Broadway: Southern Comfort book and lyrics by Dan Collins, music by Julianne Wick Davis
For more information or to see the Spanish winners, click here.