This week, GLAAD released it’s annual TV report, “Where We Are On TV,” in which they review gay representation on scripted television shows. They have concluded that HBO’s “True Blood” is the top show for gay representation, based on their criteria. The show has six gay characters, when HBO has a total of 10 altogether. Wow, that show IS gay! In terms of which network had the most representation, the answer was as easy as ABC.
ABC network took the top spot with multiple gay characters in regular roles in the following TV shows:
- Modern Family – “Mitchell Pritchett & Cameron Tucker”
- Grey’s Anatomy – “Callie Torres”
- Brother’s & Sisters – “Kevin Walker”, “Saul Holden”, & “Scotty Wandell”
- Happy Endings – “Max”
ABC had the highest amount AND percentage for scripted shows in this current season: 11 lesbian, gay, bisexual, or transgender (LGBT) characters out of 152 series regulars, accounting for 7.2% total. Go ABC!
How did the rest of the networks do?
2. FOX – 5 gay characters out of 100…5%. Hmm, isn’t 10% of the population gay? HA!
3. CW – 3 gay characters out of 67…4.5% (Not to shabby!)
4. NBC – 3 gay characters out of 143…2.1% (only network that has even less representation than last year)
5. CBS – 1 gay character out of 125…0.8% (was also in last place last year)
Who’s YOUR favorite gay television character?