During my recent trip to Los Angeles, Alex and I had the privilege to attend the Los Angeles Gay & Lesbian Center’s annual fundraiser “An Evening With Women“. Known for years as the premiere event for lesbians, bisexual women and their supporters in Los Angeles. The event keeps getting bigger and bigger as each year passes. Songwriter/producer Linda Perry, one of the event chairs, commented to us, that there was four times more press this year than last.
Like last year, we scored a spot on the red carpet and had an amazing opportunity to a few of the celebrities on hand to support this cause. The 2010 “An Evening with Women” gala was hosted by the stunning Gina Gershon (Sharon Stone did the honors last year) and featured Academy Award winning actress Renee Zellweger and comedian Sarah Silverman.
In addition to those aforementioned, Pink, Carey Hart, AnnaLynne McCord (90210), Devon Aoki (2 Fast 2 Furious), Clementine Ford (The L Word), Brent Bolthouse (The Hills and event co-chair), Kat Von D (LA Ink), music legends Heart and a multitude of other celebrities attended the event.
Through selling tickets and other fundraising efforts, the musical evening raised $370,000 for the Center’s services for women. While the attendees feasted on tasty culinary delights, they were also treated to incredible musical performances. Pink joined Linda Perry on stage and performed “What’s Up?”. Sarah Silverman made the crowd laugh with her signature off-color banter. 80s rock duo Heart (Alone, What About Love) also entertained the crowd with a few of their classics. If you’re heading out to Lilith Fair this summer, the Wilson sisters will be performing at a few stops.
Here are a few of the items donated by celebrities for the silent auction:
- Linda Perry is offering an exclusive, personal “Day In in The the Studio with Linda Perry” in which where the winner will get to record their original song or any cover song of their choosing and have Perry produce on the session. This unique package is available for bidding only on charitybuzz.com.
- Two tickets to Christina Aguilera’s Los Angeles concert, including a backstage pass to meet and greet the singer.
- A Carolina Herrera custom dress designed for Renée Zellweger to wear at “An Evening with Women.” The dress will be up for auction following the event and featured on charitybuzz.com.
- Bass guitar lessons with Flea, the bassist of the Red Hot Chili Peppers.
- A tattoo by Kat Von D at her tattoo shop, High Voltage Tattoo, in Hollywood.
- A personal bass guitar autographed by Motley Crue’s Nikki Sixx.
- A Vespa autographed by Pink.
While the media was primarily focused on high profile names, it is worth noting that the evening was to honor individuals who make a difference in the community as well. This year’s recipient of the Center’s Board of Director Award went to Jewel Thais-Williams. She founded Jewel’s Catch One which raises money for the Village Health Foundation. The foundation is a non-profit clinic that provides free and low-cost therapy, acupuncture and other holistic health treatments.
Congratulations to the event organizers for putting on another amazing event. Definitely looking forward to next year’s festivities.
Also worth mentioning is the fact this was Alex’s first time covering a red carpet event. I think he did phenomenally especially given the fact he stepped up to bat with only a few hours notice.