This weekend, it was Dolphin Tale that took the top spot at the Box Office, ousting The Lion Kind 3D in it’s two weekend reign on top. The film brought in $14.2 million bringing it’s total to $37.5 million. The Dolphin also managed to swim ahead of four new films that opened this weekend. It seems as though family films are the ones taking over theatres the past few weeks. Also ahead of the newcomers were Moneyball with $12.5 million and The Lion King 3D with $11 million.
It was a mediocre opening for some heavily promoted films this weekend. Regardless, 50/50, starring Joseph Gordon-Levitt and Seth Rogen, emerged as the strongest new film this weekend with a little over $8.8 million and some pretty great reviews. Courageous, the inspirational family drama fell close behind with $8.8 million as well. The spookiest film of the bunch, Dream House, brought in $8.2 million while what arguably looked like the funniest, What’s Your Number?, came in eight with only $5.6 million.
I didn’t go to the theatres at all this weekend, but if I did, I would have definitely gone to see “What’s your Number?” I love Anna Farris! See how the rest of the films faired this weekend below.
- 1. Dolphin Tale: $14,245,000: $37,516,377 (opening)
- 2. Moneyball: $12,500,000 ($38,468,538)
- 3. The Lion King 3D: $11,057,000 ($79,651,149 total)
- 4. 50/50: $8,848,000 (opening)
- 5. Courageous: $8,800,000 (opening)
- 6. Dream House: $8,209,185 (opening)
- 7. Abduction: $5,650,000 ($19,139,188 total)
- 8. What’s Your Number?: $5,600,000 (opening)
- 9. Contagion: $5,040,000 ($64,702,465 total)
- 10. Killer Elite: $4,855,000 ($17,439,447 total)
- Lars von Trier’s “Melancholia”: Depressing, Beautiful And Worth The Watch
- First Look: “Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close” Movie Trailer
- New Paranormal Activity 3 Trailer: “It Runs In The Family”