We’re halfway through 2010, and I thought it’d be the perfect time to recap all the albums that have topped the Billboard 200 Album Charts. So far 14 albums have claimed at least one week in the pole position on the respected magazine. Not surprisingly teen sensation Justin Bieber has spent the most weeks (4 weeks) at No. 1 with his “My World 2.0” CD, with Susan Boyle and Sade in second with 3 weeks apiece. It’s worth noting that Boyle also spent an additional three on top in 2009.
Boyle along with Ke$ha, B.o.B. and Drake are all freshmen successes with their first released album. Special kudos also go out to the “Glee” cast for spawning three hit albums from the show. Fox and Ryan Murphy must be making a killing from the hit freshman show.
The long-awaited album “Recovery” from Eminem holds the record so far for selling the most copies in its first week of release. The rapper moved 741,000 units in one week. Runner-ups for that record include Sade’s “Soldier of Love” (502,000), Lady Antebellum’s “Need You Now” (481,000) and Drake’s “Thank Me Later” (481,000).
- Susan Boyle, I Dreamed A Dream
- Ke$ha, Animal
- Vampire Weekend, Contra
- Various Artists, Hope For Haiti Now
- Lady Antebellum, Need You Now
- Sade, Soldier Of Love
- Ludacris, Battle Of The Sexes
- Justin Bieber, My World 2.0
- Usher, Raymond v. Raymond
- Glee Cast, Glee—The Music: The Power Of Madonna
- B.o.B, The Adventures Of Bobby Ray
- Godsmack, The Oracle
- Glee Cast, Glee—The Music, Vol. 3: Showstoppers
- Jack Johnson, To The Sea
- Glee Cast, Glee—The Music: Journey To Regionals
- Drake, Thank Me Later
- Eminem, Recovery
There you have it, all the albums that have claimed the number one spot this year. Which, if any, do you own? Are you surprised by any of the entries? What album do you think is the best of 2010?