Pope Francis is quite popular these days. The Supreme Pontiff landed on Barbara Walters’ final “Most Fascinating People of the Year” list and scored “Person of the Year” honors from TIME magazine. He’s notched another “Person of the Year” title and this time, it’s from a glossy gay magazine.
In a controversial move, The Advocate chose the Holy Father, as the “single most influential person of 2013 on the lives of LGBT people.” They even stamped the NOH8 logo on his cheek. The publication’s editors explain, “Pope Francis’s stark change in rhetoric from his two predecessors – both who were at one time or another among The Advocate’s annual Phobie Awards – makes what he’s done in 2013 all the more daring.”
Not surprisingly, this selection has divided the magazine’s readers. Some praise them for their bold choice, while others are aghast that the publication is ignoring the Catholic Church’s centuries of gay persecution. Where do you weigh in?
As someone raised Catholic, I choose to view the positive in this situation. Any step forward about being compassionate to the gay community by the reigning leader of the Catholic Church, albeit small, is a good thing. After all, his statements have a huge impact on his followers. Check out the other finalists The Advocate considered for their “Person of the Year” title. I’m certain none of them would’ve created nearly as much buzz. Controversy sells, right?
2013 Advocate’s Person of the Year Finalists
- Justice Anthony Kennedy
- Prop 8 Plaintiffs (Kristin Perry and Sandy Stier, and Paul Katami and Jeff Zarrillo)
- Lesbian WNBA Athlete Brittney Griner
- Blue Is the Warmest Color Actresses Léa Seydoux and Adèle Exarchopoulos
- Russian TV Gay Anchor Anton Krasovsky
- Jane Doe, Trans Teen In Colorado
- Gay Science Teen Prodigy Jack Andraka
- The Bisexuals – Zoe Saldana, Clive Davis, Crystal Bowersox, Tom Daley
To check out the heated discussion and the full article, head over to The Advocate.
- Pope Francis Is Time Magazine’s Person Of The Year
- Barbara Walters Reveals Her Most Fascinating People For The Last Time
- Adam Lambert Pumps Gas & More For The Advocate