Typically during awards season, superhero flicks get no love. Not for Deadpool. The Ryan Reynolds action film has somehow managed to squeeze its way in the Oscar mix. It just scored its biggest nomination yet.
The Writers Guild of America has announced its annual nominees. Mixed with Oscar frontrunners like La La Land, Moonlight and Manchester By The Sea is Deadpool. The Marvel Comics film scored a Best Adapted Screenplay nod. It’ll compete against Arrival, Hidden Figures, Fences and Nocturnal Animals.
Since 2007, the WGA and the Oscars have award the same original and adapted screenplay seven times in both categories. Check out all the nominations below. Winners will be announced at ceremonies in New York and Los Angeles on Sunday, Feb. 19.
2017 WGA AWARD NOMINATIONS
- La La Land, Written by Damien Chazelle; Lionsgate
- Loving, Written by Jeff Nichols; Focus Features
- Manchester by the Sea, Written by Kenneth Lonergan; Amazon Studios/Roadside Attractions
- Moonlight, Written by Barry Jenkins, Story by Tarell McCraney; A24
- Arrival, Screenplay by Eric Heisserer; Based on the Story “Story of Your Life” by Ted Chiang; Paramount Pictures
- Deadpool, Written by Rhett Reese & Paul Wernick; Based on the X-Men Comic Books; Twentieth Century Fox Film
- Fences, Screenplay by August Wilson; Based on his Play; Paramount Pictures
- Hidden Figures, Screenplay by Allison Schroeder and Theodore Melfi; Based on the Book by Margot Lee Shetterly; Twentieth Century Fox Film
- Nocturnal Animals, Screenplay by Tom Ford; Based on the Novel Tony and Susan by Austin Wright; Focus Features
- Author: The JT LeRoy Story, Written by Jeff Feuerzeig; Amazon Studios
- Command and Control, Telescript by Robert Kenner and Eric Schlosser, Story by Brian Pearle and Kim Roberts; Based on the book Command and Control by Eric Schlosser; American Experience Films
- Zero Days, Written by Alex Gibney; Magnolia Pictures