The 41th annual American Music Awards took place at Los Angeles’ Nokia Theatre Live on Sunday night with Mr. Worldwide aka Pitbull hosting. Random choice, right?
Heading into the evening, Macklemore & Ryan Lewis had the most nominations with six. Even though they nabbed two AMAs, Taylor Swift was the big winner of the night. The 23-year-old singer won four awards – Artist of the Year, Favorite Country Female Artist, Favorite Pop/Rock Female Artist, and Favorite Country Album for Red. It was her third time winning the year’s top prize!
The top male dog was Justin Timberlake who walked away with three statues. Other multiple winners were One Direction and Rihanna. The AMAs bestowed the latter with their first ever Icon Award which was presented to her by her mom. Adorable.
With regards to performances, Lady Gaga in my opinion stole the show alongside R. Kelly with their sexually-charged tribute to JFK and Marilyn Monroe. Other memorable highlights include Katy Perry’s Japanese-themed “Conditionally” number, DWTS’ Maks Chmerkovskiy tossing around J. Lo during her Celia Cruz homage, Miley Cyrus being accompanied by a giant kitty and Christina Aguilera’s beautiful duet with A Great Big World.
On the flip side, I was underwhelmed with both Ariana Grande and TLC. The former was fantastic vocally but a tad boring, while the latter served practically zero energy during their “Waterfalls” performance with Lil Mama subbing in for the late Lisa ‘Left Eye’ Lopes. Check out all the performances and winners below.
2013 American Music Awards Performances
AMAs – Katy Perry – Unconditionally
AMAs – One Direction – Story of My Life
AMAs – Justin Timberlake – Drink You Away
AMAs – Pitball & Ke$ha – Timber
AMAs – Ariana Grande – Tattooed Heart
AMAs – Imagine Dragons – Radioactive
AMAs – Rihanna – Diamonds
AMAs – Jennifer Lopez Celia Cruz Tribute
AMAs – A Great Big World ft. Christina Aguilera
AMAs – Lady Gaga ft. R. Kelly – Do What You Want
AMAs – Miley Cyrus – Wrecking Ball
AMAs – TLC ft. Lil Mama – Waterfalls
2013 AMAs Winners List
- Artist Of The Year: Taylor Swift
- New Artist Of The Year: Ariana Grande
- Single Of The Year: Florida Georgia Line feat. Nelly, “Cruise”
- Icon Award: Rihanna
- Pop/Rock Male Artist: Justin Timberlake
- Pop/Rock Band/Duo/Group: One Direction
- Soul/R&B Male Artist: Justin Timberlake
- Soul/R&B Album: Justin Timberlake, The 20/20 Experience
- Electronic Dance Music Artist: Avicii
- Soul/R&B Music Artist: Rihanna
- Pop/Rock Album: One Direction, Take Me Home
- Country Album: Taylor Swift, Red
- Country Group: Lady Antebellum
- Country Female Artist: Taylor Swift
- Country Male Artist: Luke Bryan
- Rap/Hip-Hop Album: Macklemore & Ryan Lewis, The Heist
- Alternative Rock Act: Imagine Dragons
- Adult Contemporary Artist: Maroon 5
- Latin Music Artist: Marc Anthony
- Contemporary Inspirational Artist: Matthew West
- Top Soundtrack: Pitch Perfect
AMAs – Fifth Harmony – Better Together
What was your favorite moment of the night? Do you think Taylor Swift deserved Artist of the Year honors once again? Who underwhelmed? Sound off below.