Earlier yesterday (due to the time zones), the 2012 Brit Awards took place in the O2 Arena in London to a packed house, thrilled to check out a few of their favorite musical acts perform live and possibly, take home a few awards. Despite the awards show primarily featuring their own home-grown talent, the night did feature a few international stars including Bruno Mars and Rihanna who both performed and took the International Male & Female Solo Artist Brits respectively.
The night’s big winners were Adele and Ed Sheeran who won both the female and male solo artist awards and Coldplay taking home best group. The night wasn’t complete without it’s slew of performances which included the two aforementioned artists as well as Florence & the Machine and Olly Murs.
One of the night’s highlights was Adele taking a page out of M.I.A.’s book as she flipped the bird to the O2 Arena. During her emotional acceptance speech, host James Cordon interrupted to allow enough time for Blur’s performance to close the show. Adele wrapped up by saying, “can I just say then, goodbye and I’ll see you next time round.” She then proceeded to give the middle finger with cheers erupting from the crowd. Adele later told press that the finger wasn’t intended for the fans and she apologizes if she offended anyone. Check out the full list of Brit Award winners and watch all of the performances below.
2012 Brit Awards Winners Circle
- Best Male Solo Artit: Ed Sheeran
- Best Female Solo Artist: Adele
- Best Breakthrough Act: Ed Sheeran
- Best Group: Coldplay
- British Single: “What Makes You Beautiful” by One Direction
- Mastercard British Album of the Year: “21” by Adele
- International Male Solo Artist: Bruno Mars
- International Female Solo Artist: Rihanna
- International Group: Foo Fighters
- International Breakthrough Act: Lana Del Rey
- Critics’ Choice: Emeli Sandé
- British Producer: Ethan Johns
- Outstanding Contribution to Music: Blur